Sunday, May 9, 2010

What's in a name?


This came from a recent discussion with a FaceBook friend. Name has been changed.


Mya: And I like how you always (ALWAYS) say the name of person in your reply to this person!


Me: Yes I do mention peoples names as you say. I am not too sure why I do that. It has never been a conscious decision or thought out thing to do. I just do it Mya. Maybe you could help me and tell me what it feels like to get your name mentioned in a reply. Then I may know why I do it.


Mya: It's hard to believe you're not sure why you say other people's name. I thought you're doing this deliberately. I think by saying their name, you show them that you respect them, no matter who they are and what they do. I think it's a deeper type of respect. It's not just respect for something certain they've done, it's an acceptance of them as they are. And also you might intuitively feel that people like to hear their name and sometimes it has quite a strong effect. It's more direct and personal. It feels like by this you're saying "Yes. I'm talking to YOU". And if you go to the supermarket and on checkout say "Thank you Rebecca" instead of "Thank you" to the sales assistant, there's a high chance it will make her day! She might stop feeling being a part of a furniture for a while.


Me: Regarding saying people’s names Mya, you are the first person who has ever brought it up with me, so I have not really thought about it much before. It has just been a natural thing for me to do. As I think about it now if you say someones name they probably notice it more as you say with the shop assistant.


Graffiti

0 comments: